Dolly Parton
Dolly Parton’s song “9 to 5” was released on November 3, 1980. I was a small child, but I remember how deeply that song spoke to my mother as she hurried to drop my brother and me off at daycare before rushing to work her own nine-to-five.
Dolly Parton has inspired me since I was very young. Her grace, her love of music, and her love for people made her shine brighter than the star she became. To me, she was always an angel temporarily visiting us here on Earth.
One of the rites of passage in my life was taking a family trip without my mother for the first time. I was terrified! My mother usually planned the entire agenda and itinerary. She mapped out the activities, restaurants, hotels - the whole shaaaaabaaang! A close friend of mine had always spoken highly of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. When he became very ill and spent months in the hospital, I reminded myself that fear is not of God. I stepped outside my comfort zone and planned a family trip to Pigeon Forge to visit Dollywood.
That trip became memorable in more ways than I could have imagined. Beyoncé had just released her Cowboy Carter album, and we listened to it the entire drive to and from Pigeon Forge. One of our favorite songs on the album was her version of “Jolene.”
We had never seen a bear in person before. Because they were waking from hibernation, we were fortunate enough to see several roaming through the Great Smoky Mountains, one of the most beautiful places on Earth.
And then there was Dollywood! To me, Dollywood was even better than Disney World. Especially realizing that Dolly Parton was the fourth child out of twelve. She came from where the majority of us came from and followed her dreams and built an ICON.
Every year, I meet someone who is thrilled to discover Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, a program that mails free, age-appropriate books to children from birth to age five. How amazing is that? Her legacy was never limited to music or entertainment. She used her success to encourage children, strengthen families, and spread the joy of reading
My heart and soul are deeply saddened by the loss of this angel. We were truly blessed to live during a time when we could experience Dolly Parton, her music, and her kindness in real time.
On August 25, 2026, God called His angel Dolly Parton home. Although her earthly journey has ended, the love, light, music, and generosity she gave to the world will live on for generations.
Rest peacefully, Dolly. Thank you for the music, the memories, laughter, and kindness you put-out into the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment