Saturday, June 13, 2015

My New York Experience (just on my mind as I sit here)

I couldn't tell the difference between tourist and the real New Yorker.  The street people found homes sleeping on the steps.  He seemed at peace sleeping.  Somewhere so busy and with others walking around as they were couldn't provide me rest.  I wondered if he'd always been that way?  A book bag held up his head.  Which probably contained everything he owned in life.  New York where dreams are made.  Did his dream get crushed and his days grew one into another?  I would never know.  He must like it here, because he stays and sleeps soundly.  The diversity was amazing.  The different languages amazed me, but I wanted to understand what they were saying.  Could I find a home here?  Would I grow into something or someone different?  As a bus passed it bared the face of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.  I bet he's been to New York and I bet he loved it.  Imagining how I would feel with my face on the side of a tour bus.  Would that make me happy?  Sitting on a stoop in front of Starbucks across from the Hilton I was staying at.  I felt a chill, the carmel mocha frappuccino I drank didn't help.  It was colder then I expected.  A young hungover guy, couldn't tell if he was American, French, or from the United Kingdom, was looking for solace in coffee.  His eyes were red and he staggered a bit in his khaki shorts and grey shirt.  I guess the chuck Taylor's made a comeback or maybe they've always been here; they just stood out more today being on many passerby's feet.  Never seen so many people traveling with suitcases in tow on the street.  Would the world ever notice me?  I soaked up the New York streets.  I soaked up the music New York provided me with blaring horns from every direction, trucks stopping and going, people talking, bike wheels tic tic ticking, construction drills, breaks on cars screeching, birds chirping (and may I say more friendlier then on my street).  New York, like a loud and boisterous, risk-taking, kind (but don't get it twisted), energetic, person waiting for the next big adventure.  New York is a beautiful place to be.

Luke 6:31

Do to others as you would have them do to you.


Keisha

No comments:

Post a Comment